Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Changing your prospective

As I've been reading Temple Grandin's book, The Way I See It, I have uncovered things I've never thought of before.  Like my child's limitations...oh I've thought about the, trust me.  But it is so easy for me to focus on the limitations, not because I don't see positives in him, but because I'm so focused on what I can do to help.  As she says in her book, "There is often too much emphasis in the world of Autism on the deficits of these children and not enough emphasis on developing the special talents that many of them posses".  To that I say AMEN!  I'm not saying I will overlook these developmental deficiencies, but I will make a commitment to turn a portion of my focus on what he CAN do.  Building on their talents can help them develop employable skills.  It can expand on their socialization and independence.  This is all we want for any of our kids, on the spectrum or not.  So it's time to change the prospective on what Autisic children are capable of!

No comments:

Post a Comment