Monday, December 30, 2013

Things about Autism you may not know

A friend of mine asked me today, "Seems that it [Autism] affects more kids than cancer, is that correct?"  My answer to her may shock you.  Did you know...
This year, more children will be diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder than AIDS, diabetes and cancer combined.
I know, right?!
**Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys.  That means more kids on the spectrum compared to type 1 diabetes – 1 in 400; childhood cancer – 1 in 2,000; and cystic fibrosis – 1 in 3,500.  Yet Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases.
It 2012 the total NIH (National Institutes of Health Funds Allocation) budget was $30.86 billion.  Of this, only $169 million goes directly to autism research. This represents 0.55% of total NIH funding!!
Autism prevalence figures are growing.  
  • It is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.  
  • It costs a family $60,000 a year on average.  
  • Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism.  
  • There is no medical detection or cure for autism**

When asked what my thoughts are on what causes Autism, I say this; to me, the cause is irrelevant because it will not change his diagnosis.  I have my theories (vaccines is not one I believe), but something definitely needs to be done to prevent more children and families from being diagnosed.  What I need to see at this point is a cure, but with funding so low, how will we ever see the day Autism is cured or prevented.  This is why AWARENESS is so important.  And this means kids too!!  Kids need to be aware and taught tolerance, compassion, patience and understanding.  Because MY kids will grow up with neurotypical kids.  And so will many more kids on the spectrum.

**resource:  Autism Speaks website

No comments:

Post a Comment