Thursday, September 17, 2015

All summer long I've been leaving the boys school work to do during the day. With 'Milo not in summer school this year, I wanted to be sure to maintain some structure as well as keep his mind fresh and start introducing some subjects that he might see in the first year of Middle School. He's actually very enthusiastic about it and is always looking forward to the work I leave for him. He's doing well with most of his math, but has struggled with addition and subtraction; despite the fact he has his multiplication and division down. He's easily frustrated when he gets them wrong, but he tries his best. 
One day, I get this text from my mom: "I must admit, D is very patient helping 'Milo with his math. It's so cute to watch. He told him 'when you're taking your test, pretend it's me testing you and that will keep you calm'. I wanna cry. 'Milo got them all right!"
I told my little one that I was so proud of him. I told him, I know your are the little brother but sometimes you take on the role of a big brother and I thanked him for being such a patient and loving brother. His little eyes filled up with tears and I said, why are you crying? He said, "they are tears of joy"
So that day after dinner, I took him out for a special treat, just the two of us. I know its rough on him sometimes. It's not uncommon for siblings of kids with special needs to feel overlooked. So when my son shows this much compassion for his brother, completely on his own, I have to acknowledge to him how proud I am of him. And and little ice cream doesn't hurt
‪#‎autismbrother‬

No comments:

Post a Comment