Sunday, September 20, 2015

Back To School Night

Since school started I have been in contact with 'Milo's teacher almost daily.  Yes, I am THAT parent.  I always have questions.  Thankfully the teacher is very understanding and very responsive.  She never makes me feel like I'm being a pain in the butt!  
On back to school night I was excited to finally meet her and see the class.  He's in the AutCore program at a public middle school.  The program is new there, so there were concerns.  Will they know what he needs and will they be patient and understanding?  Will they understand how he learns?  But my son was fearless going into this and he is loving school.  
His teacher is very sweet and was very excited to show the parents what the kids are doing and how they are doing.  She had a powerpoint presentation which she said she uses for teaching.  She said the kids love the graphics and moving gifs saying it keeps them engaged.  She told us that she herself has a daughter who is on the spectrum who is now an adult.  That's when I realized, she really does understand.  I couldn't believe it.  I felt so luck to have a fellow Autism parent teaching our kids.  Someone who has been in the ranks just like us.  She explained that she is very protective of our kids and looks after them, not just in class.  She told us for the two periods our kids are in other classes, she teaches 8th grade math and has introduced these kids to our kids and has them looking out for them during nutrition and lunch.  WOW, I was BLOWN away.  She mentioned how our kids were having trouble at PE with the lockers and getting ready quickly and out to class on time that she requested two aids to assist during PE for them.  I was thoroughly impressed.  How could we have possibly gotten so lucky.  I felt compelled to write the Principal and V. Principal a letter


Dr. C and Ms. B

I attended the back to school night last night and would like to give you my honest feed back on my child’s teach, Ms M.  Can I just tell you, I feel like I have struck gold!  You really have yourself the best fit for the AutCore program in my opinion.  Her openness to the parents was such a relief as I and other parents that I talked to last night, have been SO stressed about our Autistic kids starting 6th grade.  As if a new school isn’t hard enough, they’ve had to remember 2 locker numbers and the combinations, Meal PIN numbers, changing classes, bigger campus…. It was so overwhelming the thought of, “will my child be safe?”.  I truly believe that he is.  She really gets our kids and many of the parents I talked to last night echoed the same.  She understands what they need to be motivated to learn.  If I didn’t already feel that P H was a good fit for my son, Ms M would have convinced me last night.  I was already happy with the school choice we made, and Ms M is the icing on the cake!

It's was such a relief to know that the teacher has our kids best interest in mind.  I don't think things could have gone better.

No comments:

Post a Comment