Monday, April 13, 2015

Middle school... bleh

A few weeks ago we had parent/teacher conference for 'Milo. Overall, the teacher had a pretty good report for him. He said he is doing well in Math and has made real improvement in his spelling words (heck yeah, we worked HARD on that one!). He did say he needs to improve his reading. He does read everyday, so we just need to get his reading speed up. He also said although 'Milo qualifies for Summer School, he didn't feel that he was in any real need for it. I'll have to admit, I agree with this one. Last year, the Summer School teach he had never sent home any homework. And the work I did see, was review of past grades and not much of his current grade. The teacher said he didn't have any concerns for 'Milo regressing over the summer. So this will be his first summer off... aside from the work sheets I'll leave for him to do during the day.
Then the dreaded topic came up: Middle School. I can't believe it's that time.
The teacher had the school 'Milo has been assigned to. The school has an all-Aut program; some school Special Ed programs consists of ALL disabilities. He explained that he would be assigned 4 classes; Math, Social Studies, History, Language Arts. Then he will have a home room, an elective and PE. That's when my stomach dropped. PE. I hadn't even thought about that. Changing in a gym locker room with other boys. Will he remember to put away his clothes/glasses/shoes in his locker? Will he remember his locker combination? Will he be picked on by other kids if he can't get the instructions down during PE? So many things go through my head that make me want to quit my job and go to the school everyday to keep him safe and protected. Obviously that is not an option. But I've had this sick pain from worry in my stomach since then. ‪#‎AutismMom‬ ‪#‎ThingsThatKeepMeUpAtNight‬

No comments:

Post a Comment