Monday, April 13, 2015

My work-free, autism-free, kid-free, Lisa only day

A couple of weeks ago I hit a rough patch.  Between preparing for middle school, upcoming IEP, bad ABA session, I was feeling pretty worn out.  But as usual, I go to work, press on and move though life.  But on this particular day, my manager got me in a bad moment.  We were just having conversation when I broke down in tears at work.  I hate that.  But she didn't judge.  She's knows what I'm dealing with and she's amazingly understanding.  She said, "You need a day off.  Every time you take a day off it's for your kids, your mom or school; you need a Lisa day!  Take a mental health day and go get a massage.  Don't tell anyone, just leave in the morning like you're coming to work and take the whole day off for yourself"  Can you imagine that!?  It was so refreshing to just be vulnerable and allow someone to help me thru a rough moment.... I don't like asking for help.  But you know what, everyone deserve a little help in their life once in a while.  She said, "by tomorrow, I want you to come up with a day that you will take off, and it has to be soon... not 3 weeks from now, not a month from now, but like in the next week or two."  Then next day I came in and found a note from my manager with a purchased massage that said "for your Lisa day, from your friend, not your manager".  WOW.  Such a wonderful gesture and I'm so thankful to be blessed with wonderful friends.
So today, I had my Lisa day.  And it was wonderful.  After I dropped off the kids at school I went to Starbucks in the morning, got myself some coffee and a croissant and sat and enjoyed it.  Not feeling rushed, not thinking about anything work or home related.  Just sitting there enjoying the time.  From there I drove out to Valencia and did some window shopping, taking my time till my massage appointment.  I hadn't had a massage in years and it was such a treat.  It was ridiculously relaxing.  It really got rid of the stress I had in my shoulders for the past few weeks.  After that I had some lunch and drove back to the valley.  Went to the mall and did some more window shopping.  Stopped by a new store and just went in to look around, but ended up buying a dress for a wedding I'm going to.  Went and got a Jamba Juice and sat outside enjoying the nice weather till it was time to go home.  
It's always hard for me to make time for myself.  Even when the kids are gone for a weekend I always end up doing loads of laundry, researching stuff, running errands and never really do anything "me" related.  But it's like they say, you can't take care of other people if you don't take care of you first.

No comments:

Post a Comment